Sunday, December 21, 2008

25 Days of CHRISTmas - December 21, 2008

"On the twenty-first day of CHRISTmas my true Love gave to me... reminders of what CHRISTmas is really all about."

OK, I almost missed it, posting on the 21st day of CHRISTmas. I have been rushing around still trying to find those last couple gifts at stores open till midnight and later. It's been crazy, the rushing and the searching. I'm still not done, three days left and I have a husband having surgery and a seven-year-old's birthday party in the next 2 days. I am pressed, and I can easily get caught up in the hustle and bustle and lose all the joy.

But there are moments, moments that stop you in your tracks and make you think about what the Reason for the Season really is.

Today I had one of those moments. One of the youngsters in our church (am I that old that I have resorted to the use of the word "youngster"? I guess I am, but I digress.) Anyway, in service this morning this young man played a beautiful version of "What Child Is This?" on his cello while scenes form the movie The Nativity played silently on the screen behind him. It was powerfully moving, there was no singing, just his cello, and yet the lyrics ran through my mind all the while.

What child is this, who, laid to rest
On Mary's lap, is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?

This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary!


This Child, the Christ child, he came to earth surrendering all his majesty to be born an infant in a manger. The Father looking on from "heaven afar." This moment when all eternity was changed, my eternity was changed because God himself was willing to come here on earth to be my Emmanuel.

The thought occurred to me, when you know Jesus, when you have a personal relationship with Him, know Him as Savior, Healer and Friend, in every day there is a little CHRISTmas.

Merry CHRISTmas!

No comments: