Monday, July 26, 2010

River of Refuge

So here's my theory, there is this dichotomy going on in the heart of God - on one hand I know it is His heart to expand the Kingdom of God. It's supposed to grow, the "more the merrier" is a very biblical concept, I say, but at the same time, I believe the community itself is supposed to get smaller. When I say smaller, I don't mean in number though, I mean in the sense of the community. We should feel like neighbors, friends, family, with more people, touching more people, ministering to more people whether it be from around the world, or in our very own communities.

I want to invite you to check out this article and the video clips on CBN that I believe captures this heart of God, reaching out, and bringing in. Although it isn't intended specifically as "outreach" I believe that the spreading of the gospel is far better expressed in actions than in words, and for sure, this is what it's about, being the "good Samaritan" by helping those in need.

Check out this article about the River of Refuge(click), a hospital in Kansas City being converted to house homeless and help them get back on their feet. It's particularly exciting to me because a group called Ignite that will be partnering with this program is a ministry connected to both the my denomination (Foursquare) and my church, because both kids I know have participated, and a pastor I have known most of my Christian life leads it.

This is exciting stuff, being the "hands and feet" of Jesus. This is what Jesus told us to do. This is how we change the world.

Someone dear to me took the time to read the article and watch the videos, and she having had some experience with "hotel living" as a child said it like this, "very cool, i have know may friends that have lived in motels, or their parents did, for extended times. i did as well when i was small but not for long. its so awesome what these churches are doing, hope is the biggest gift they could be giving!"

Hope is the greatest gift to give! Be sure to take the time to click all the links and don't miss the actual tour of the facility(click).

Check it out! Pray for it! And pass it on!

No comments: