Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Psalm 63:1-3 - Devotional

O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.

Psalm 63:1-3


This is my current Facebook status. I spent a little time with the Lord last night doing business, and I went searching for a scripture. I wanted to look up "I will seek You," because the fact of the matter is, I don't think I have been like I should. I have allowed distractions to take precedence. I'm a little off track.

I don't think I'm "off the road" completely, but how far does it have to be to be causing a serious delay in God's purpose for my life? A little bit of compromise can be the equivalent of pulling over along the side of the road and setting up camp.

As much as it turns out I enjoy camping, I really don't want to do it figuratively in my spiritual walk. I much prefer to be a constant traveler on the path the Lord has set before me. Mind you, not only looking ahead at what is to come, but rather walking along and experiencing every step of the travel with a sense of purpose and direction. I may not know where I am headed, but I want to be sure of Who I am following, knowing He knows the best way, and has purpose in every step of the trip. And should I be called to make stops along the way, I want it to be because He has called me to them, not because of laziness or distraction on my own part.

I long for this, the sense of direction and purpose, the sense of God's presence that comes with it. I will seek the Lord because my flesh and soul long and thirst for Him, and will be satisfied with nothing less. This world, this land I travel through is a desert, but the Lord will sustain me in it. As the land seems to grow more dry and good fruit more sparse, I am determined to walk closely with the One who will strengthen and sustain me on the journey.

Lord, lead me. Please help me walk with You and with purpose. Your love is better than life...

These are the words I long to meditate on today, and purpose to apply in my life. By your grace Lord.

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

thanks for this! having all the time in the world to spend with God has left me not really spending "time" with Him at all. I want to (need to) hunger and thirst for Him.

His Girl said...

I hear ya, sistah. Loved reading this. Shouldn't surprise me one bit~your brain and mine see eye to eye all the time...