Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blessed Assurance

The chorus sings like this...

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.


Oh how I long to live my life in such a way, praising my Savior all the day long. The bible talks about how our Spirit makes deep groanings that we cannot utter, and though I don't know if it is biblical or not, I hope my spirit knows to praise Him even when my flesh gets caught up in me, life and circumstance.

I do know that my life however is one of Blessed Assurance. It is one of those things I find hard to describe to someone else if they have not themselves experienced it. The total peace and confidence in my soul that I know who I am and I know Who I belong to, and the confidence of all that I have because of what he has done for me.

February is here, the month of love and romance, the stores are packed with candy, flowers and cards for sale to express to your special someone "Be Mine."

As happily married as I am, and I consider myself to be far blessed among all women for the marriage I have, the husband I am married to and the life that we share, it so fails by comparison to the sense of "Blessed Assurance" that holds my heart.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.


Remember how wonderful you felt the first time you fell in love? The excitement that made your heart race? Sometimes it fluttered so much you thought it might come right out of your chest? It's such a thrilling feeling, makes you feel alive. Blessed Assurance... it's like that, only better.

"Be Mine," you see it everywhere from tiny chalk like candies to big boxes and cards. And it is a wonderful feeling to feel like you "belong." I cherish my title as Neal's wife. I love that I alone am His, there is such joy and security in that sense. Blessed Assurance is like that, only more.

Belonging to Jesus, and having the full confidence of it, being fully persuaded of what He did for me on the cross and what it means for my life is beyond words. It is everything and yet I cannot find the words to share it, but the song tries.

"Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love."


The most incredible thing about being madly in love with Jesus is to know He is even more madly in love with me. It is incredible to have your heart feel so full and then to know that it cannot even begin to compare to the love He has for me, for you, for all.

Oh how it must break His heart when His love is lost on the unbelieving or even doubted by those who know. And yet even in the midst of our rejection He is relentless in His pursuit. The bible says it is His will that none should perish, He longs for a reciprocal love from us. He stands willing and waiting, the bible says, "Knocking on the door of the heart."

If you do not know Him, my prayer is that you would, that you would come to know His sacrificial love and His deep desire for you. If you do know Him, then my prayer is that you would know the "width and length and depth and height" of His love for you. That you would allow Him to fill you to overflowing to the joy and peace- the "delight" and the "rest" that is yours to be had, that is Blessed Assurance.

May Jesus call you His own this Valentine's Day, and every day.

No comments: