Friday, October 31, 2008

Hugs from Heaven

Have you ever had one of those days? I don't mean the classic "one of those days" in the negative sense. I mean one of those days where you can just sense the very near presence of God? It's like He's bubbling inside of you, your heart feels full, you have a kick in your step, there is this smile you can't really repress... you sense His joy.

Those are good days. I'm having one of those days today. I don't even know why, it's not like I've made a huge headway in my devotional struggles, or any major breakthrough in my struggles with prayer - it's nothing that I can attribute to ME.

It's like a hug from heaven. It's like God has reached down and taken me into his arms and I can feel Him holding on to me. It feels good. It is the reality of "God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good." is playing itself out in my life today, despite circumstances or struggles, He's just showing me His love because I'm His kid.

Today is a day that can be sort of contraversial in the church, costumes, no costumes, to trick or treat or not to trick or treat? That IS the question.

This morning as I was driving Ethan and Victoria to school I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a demon driving the car behind me. I don't mean I had any spiritual discerning moment, I mean she was in a costume, dressed like a demon. So I asked my kids if they knew why we didn't dress in scary costumes for Halloween. Victoria piped up and said, "because it doesn't honor Jesus." (I was very proud.) Ethan said because it was like choosing the devil's side. I told them, "you know, a lot of people think today is the devil's day, but it's not." And they asked me why people think that, so I just told them that's what some people make Halloween about. But it isn't true. I told them you know what the Bible says, "THIS is the day the LORD has made..." and they started to sing... "This is the day, this is the day, that the Lord has made, that the Lord has made. I will rejoice, I will rejoice and be glad in it..." We sang it the rest of the way to school and all the way as we walked into the school building.

Today is God's day. He's Lord over Halloween, He's Lord over the economy, over this nation. Whether people choose to acknowledge it or not, God is still in control, He is still on the throne, and no matter who wins the election on Tuesday and no matter what proposition does or does not pass, I will rejoice, I will rejoice, because I have a Father in heaven who loves me, and today He chose to fill my heart, and hug his lid, just because He can.

No comments: