Tuesday, July 8, 2008

30 Days of Praise - Day 2

I would describe today as one of "those" days. You know the kind I'm talking about, one where nothing seemed to go well, life in and of itself just seemed both challenging and frustrating. Expensive car problems, unresolved challenges in marriage, a day in parenting that you're wondering if anything you do really has any effect... It's everything and nothing really, all in the mix, just feeling like you're on an uphill treadmill, working hard and getting nowhere.

Oh, but wait, today is also day 2 of my 30 Days of Praise. What's a girl to do?

I suppose the best place to start is to remember that praising and offering worship to God isn't AT ALL about my emotions or feelings. Someone shared with me recently that they heard a pastor say that worship isn't really about God at all, but it's really about "us," its greatest purpose to change our attitudes and perspectives.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. Although yesterday I myself spoke wrote about the change changing our focus on God can bring, I believe it's a wonderful by-product, not the purpose of the worship in and of itself.

We worship God because He is deserving. He is worthy. And that's the truth of the matter no matter how I feel about a given day in my life. Even in the midst of the most dire circumstances (which let's face it, my day didn't even hint towards) God is worthy.

Today He made the sun to rise, again, in His faithfulness. He gave breath to breathe. He gave life to live. He gave hope to hold to. The Bible says this morning mercy was renewed. It's the same every morning, every day. Each new day is a day of new hope and promise, of new potential. One day further in this walk with Him, one day closer to the goal of remaining in His very presence for all eternity.

Truly I wish this reality had been allowed to shine through my circumstances (which by no means are my reality) and that I had chosen to overcome the challenges of the day with praise, because it does in fact change my perspective. But again, it's a blessed by-product and not the reason we praise. But how good is God that whatever meager offering we have to give Him, He takes it and gives back to us in an even better way.

As I came in to write this my attitude still wasn't what it should be. I'd finished off my pity cookies and milk knowing I had made a commitment to keep these 30 days of praise. I turned on worship music, because I know sometimes it helps to have a catalyst towards changing our perspective, whether it's listening to worship or reading the psalms, there are keys we find to help us sort of reboot our attitudes. That's why I have added a music player with worshipful songs at the bottom of this blog. I hope if you've stopped by here to read my blog and you find yourself low, frustrated, discouraged or even just having your perspective and focus askew, may these songs help draw you back to your God (and I pray He is in fact yours) and right your mind towards Him.

He is WORTHY to be praised in every situation and circumstance... no matter how you're feeling.

Psalm 47

To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah.

Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples! Shout to God with the voice of triumph!
For the Lord Most High is awesome; He is a great King over all the earth.
He will subdue the peoples under us, and the nations under our feet.
He will choose our inheritance for us, the excellence of Jacob whom He loves.
Selah
God has gone up with a shout, The Lord with the sound of a trumpet.
Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
For God is the King of all the earth; Sing praises with understanding.
God reigns over the nations; God sits on His holy throne.
The princes of the people have gathered together, the people of the God of Abraham.
For the shields of the earth belong to God; He is greatly exalted.

No comments: