Wednesday, July 16, 2008

30 Days of Praise - Day 10

Today was a rough day. It started out OK with me trying to focus first and foremost on the Lord. But circumstances were out of control and I never do very well with that. Victoria was under the weather and couldn't go to VBS and that changed my plans for the morning. Worse than that is Neal's having complications from his surgery and he stayed home this morning until we could get him into the doctor. The doctor doesn't seem concerned but it doesn't change the fact that Neal isn't feeling well, and I just feel really bad about that.

It's interesting to me that I struggle a lot more in life's circumstances than I do in life's crises or tragedies. I get diverted much more easily when things are just turbulent. We have had major crises and tragedies, like during Ethan's adoption and when Neal's mom passed unexpectedly, and in times like those I find myself very anchored, completely focused and filled with faith and expectation for God's deliverance, whereas a fever and a canceled appointment can throw me for an absolute loop. I don't really have any deep insight on that yet, but it's one of the things that occurred to me today.

I wanted to share one of the questions in my bible study last night because I thought it was very thought provoking.

From Satisfy My Thirsty Soul
Which of the following definitions of worship do you like the best? Why?

* "Worship is the outpouring of a soul at rest in the presence of God."
- A.P. Gibbs

* "Worship is a way of gladly reflecting back to God the radiance of His worth."
- John Piper

* "Worship is giving God the best that He has given you."
- Oswald Chambers

* "Worship is the overflow of a grateful heart, under a sense of Divine favor."
- A.P. Gibbs

I think it's a great question, and if anyone out there is actually stopping by to read this, I want you to stop and chew on it for yourself, so I'll share my perspective at a later time.

Well, I'm exhausted, emotionally more than physically, but I am going to share one final thought provoking quote from Satisfy My Thirsty Soul.

Worship is not just a specific act. It is also a lifestyle.
Worship is a specific act of bowing my knees and declaring, "Holy, holy, holy."
Worship is also a specific lifestyle of bowing my life and living, "holy, holy, holy."


Think on that.

No comments: