Sunday, January 8, 2012

100 Verses - Week 18- Anchored

Congratulations! I want to congratulate every one of you who has been participating in the 100 Verse Challenge. Whether this is your 2nd week of our 18th, you are making a wise decision to hide God's word in your heart. And whether you have all 33 verses firmly established, or some smaller amount, there is NO failure when it comes to learning the Word of God. And I applaud you for your effort. And I suspect even if you don't feel confident that you have learned every scripture, chapter and verse, I am confident that it has been hidden in your heart for the Lord to draw upon in the moment He requires it. Your treasure box is getting fuller, and with it you are getting richer!

We are entering into a new division in Robert J. Morgan's 100 Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart this week. The new portion is titled "Promises: Verses to Stand On." And truth be told, that is EXACTLY why I started the Challenge. I think having verses to hold onto, or "stand on" in life make all the difference in our "walks of faith."

I had a conversation with a friend earlier this week. It's someone I have "kept my eye on" consistently since we met not long after his conversion. As a new young believer there have been times when I have tried to direct him toward the Word in his struggles with his new found faith. Often I have been extremely maternal toward him, one of my "spiritual kids." He told me about some changes going on with him. When I responded that I wasn't worried about him, he seemed surprised and found it to be a "new experience." I told him he seemed anchored to me, to which he replied, "I feel shaken up, but I know what to do." And I know what he meant, he's finally grasped that his answers are in God's Word.

That really is what "anchored" means. It does not mean that you are not tossed about by the waves, it just means the waves don't have the power to move you away from where you need to be. When you are anchored to the Word, standing on the promises of God, you can be secure in any circumstance. Taking God at His Word is a major faith empowerment. (And He does, after all, deserve that confidence.)

I'm going to be honest, I already have both of this week's verses established firmly in my heart and mind (which is convenient also because I need a little more work on the verses from the past 2 weeks while the kids were on break, but I digress.) Both of these verses are very dear to me. The first verse is one I have recited continually during financial difficulties and during seasons where I have battle anxiety attacks (specifically along with the first verse we will be working on next week.)

The 2nd verse from this week is one of my life verses. It's a verse that I have held to, and seen proven in my own life since my return to Christ in 1992. This verse has been constantly intertwined throughout my entire testimony regarding the spiritual healing of my abortion, my infertility struggles, and through Ethan's adoption. It is one of the first anchors the Lord ever gave me in "My Walk of Faith."

I suspect both of this week's verses will be familiar to you, if not, I am excited for you! But even if they are, and you already have one or both of them memorized, I encourage, meditate on them this week, think about how they have proven true in your own walk, and allow them to remind you of the goodness and faithfulness of our God! So here we go:

Verse 1:

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you.
Matthew 6:33


Verse 2:

We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28
emphasis mine


Thank you all who are continuing on (or joining in) this journey on the 100 Verse Challenge with me. God bless you as you grow your hearts by filling it with God's Word!

No comments: