Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Week - Saturday Devotional

From the Book of Luke Chapter 23:50-56
And a man named Joseph, who was a member of the Council, a good and righteous man (he had not consented to their plan and action), a man from Arimathea, a city of the Jews, who was waiting for the kingdom of God; this man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. And he took it down and wrapped it in a linen cloth, and laid Him in a tomb cut into the rock, where no one had ever lain. It was the preparation day, and the Sabbath was about to begin. Now the women who had come with Him out of Galilee followed, and saw the tomb and how His body was laid. Then they returned and prepared spices and perfumes. And on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.




Did Their Dream Die?

When brought down from the cross,
Their Savior was dead,
What could have been the thoughts
That went running through their heads?

No tomb of His own
To bury Him in,
Some "Son of God"
What freedom did they win?

When they placed Him there,
Did their dream die too?
They didn't know He would rise,
And leave an empty tomb.

They didn't know what we now know,
That their King would arise,
That they soon would know true freedom
For the first time in their lives.

Freedom from sin,
From sadness and shame,
Soon their hearts and their lives
Would never be the same.

How dark was the darkness
On the night they all mourned?
Not knowing the joy
That would come in the morn.

A reason to hope or believe
Must've been so hard to find,
They didn't know what I know
In the Truth is where my hope, I find.

They didn't know what I do
But their faith they still held,
But I know His death saved me
From going to hell.

No grieving in my life
As they did that dark night,
For I know the truth
And now live in the Light.

What more do I need
Than what He gave me on the cross that day?
Innocent, but HE paid the price for me
And washed ALL my sins away.

By Diana DePriest
© 1998

No comments: