Monday, September 28, 2009

The Power of Positivity

Have you ever been having a really good day, or even just a half way decent one, and someone can come in and squash it with a bad attitude or hostility? I've been having a lot of those days lately, quite repeatedly actually, and it kind of stinks... except not kind of.

It's really sad when particular people in your life are like that all the time. Sad, is a small word that doesn't truly encompass all that it is, but it's also a safe word that gives some semblance of the point. The really lousy thing is, no matter how positive a person you may be, or may try to be, or choose to be, when you face negativity like that unrelentingly, it's hard to stay up. It is always easier to pull or even tear someone down than it is to lift someone up, its just the plain old law of gravity, in a figurative sense.

Yet somehow, the Lord says quite the opposite is more than possible, it is dare I say, commanded? Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Wow, we have the power to build people up... and all it takes is our words! I have often expounded on my love for words. I think I started this very blog with a first post about the power of them, but it is a truth worth being reminded of. It was because of the encouraging words of others that I even started writing here.

Why do people, including me at times choose to use words to tear down and belittle? Why do we choose to use them to humiliate or discourage? How would the world be a different place if that alone was changed. I know my world would be different, I wouldn't want to hide my head under the pillow and go back to sleep most days.

I don't know, I guess I'm really just rambling, but "words of encouragement" are my love language, so perhaps I take it in deeper when they are harsh or hurtful, but I can't imagine that they don't chip away at every heart when misused towards one of God's precious people. And in this regard I'm not speaking solely of believers, but of every precious person created in the image of God. If you're not sure if that's you, I assure you it is.

I love being around positive people, people who laugh and smile. I hope I am a positive person. The scripture above is one of the first ones I ever memorized, and not by choice, the Lord led me there because of my history. Before I was a Christian I was brutal with words. I could bring a grown man to tears, and had with vicious hurling words. I still at times in great anger have the strength rising up in my flesh, but it isn't a good strength, it isn't a godly strength.

I want to be surrounded with positive people, and I am certain being a positive person increases the odds. I know it's good for your complexion, the Bible says so!

A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance,
But by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.

Proverbs 15:13


I sincerely wish positivity were like an antidote for the negativity, but it isn't. Just as we can choose to be positive, some people will continue to choose to be negative, no matter how hard we try to combat it. On the other hand, should we use that as an excuse to just let the negativity overwhelm us? I can't see any benefit in that. I'm feeling inspired to study further on this power of positive words.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

DAWJAW said...

This entry remindes me of a CD I recently listened to, called "A Call to Joy." The speaker encourages you to be the "Best version of yourself you can be, and to surround yourself with people who help you to be the best version of you."

Sheryl said...

i know you certainly are an encouragement to me!!

i'm taking the challenge with amber today too. sure helps that i have alone all day - ha! i'll let you know how the evening goes.

Francie Schmuhl said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I completely agree with you. How different would this world be if we were all a little kinder (said please, thank you or excuse me) to each other. I've recently distanced myself from a neighbor who constantly bad-mouthed another neighbor (it was borderline obsessive). I'm sorry, but I just don't need that negativity in my life. I wish we could all just learn how to let the negativity go! Thanks again, Francie Schmuhl