Thursday, June 5, 2008

Methodical

An interesting word. It is defined as follows: 1 : arranged, characterized by, or performed with method or order 2 : habitually proceeding according to method : SYSTEMATIC

I love when dictionaries define a word with the root of the word. But method - a procedure or process, is what methodical is all about.

This word came to me last night as I was sewing achievement patches on Victoria's Missionettes sash. They are little badges she has earned over the last year at our Wednesday evening church program. Next week she is "graduating" as an Honor Daisy for completing all of the units in the last year. We're very proud of her, but that's not really what this post is all about.

Before evening services I was rushing to get all the badges glued on and tacked with a thread. I thought she might need it last night. I was mistaken. But when I got home after church I decided I wanted to sew them on completely so they wouldn't fall off and get lost.

I found myself really enjoying the methodical process of sewing on these badges. It could not be rushed, it was not something I could do hurriedly, if I tried, I was apt to get poked in the finger. I thought of the days when everything had to be done by hand, not just sewing on a button or a badge, but putting together a shirt or a skirt, all sewn by hand, slowly methodically so as to have every stitch in place.

I think this is the key to why the "olden days" are considered to have been "simpler times." They certainly were not simpler in the sense of less effort or work, I mean we need a new blouse we hop in our cars and drive to any choice of stores and pick out the top of our choise from an array of styles and colors. Simple - and yet, the traffic, the crowds, make such a "simple" task so burdensome.

I think the key is the pace of life. I enjoyed the slow process, pushing the needle through, pulling it out, again and again. Rethreading the needle when the thread ran out, tying the tiny knot.

I have several more badges to complete sewing on, and I'm looking forward to it. In the past it was a chore I always passed on to my mother, no time for such a task, but now... maybe I'll try embroidery? The point is, there is some great value, a peace to be found in just slowing down and taking care of tasks at hand, methodically.

No comments: